Saturday 25 September 2021

Rare disease: letting go of guidelines and still wearing a mask

So today in the Netherlands a lot of the guidelines about covid have been let go, like the social distance one. I must say I find it a bit scary but I mean I get it, that also mainly has to do with my situation, my health, my family’s health. But that is why especially on a day like today I wanted to share something. Some of you already know me, a lot of you probably won’t. 

So hi there, I am Poppy, I am chronically ill, I am fully vaccinated, I still keep my distance and I still wear a mask.  when I do need to come in contact with people. Just bear with me a second on why I am writing this and why I think it is important. I have been thinking about writing this post for the past couple of two weeks. I didn’t want to write it at first because I thought it might seem annoyed or something. But I have been thinking and I think it could help some people see some things from a different perspective. 


So this was the case: as some of you may know I am chronically ill with a rare disease. Therefore I have been very careful these past 1,5 years. I have been living a very isolated life, which I am no stranger to but you can read that in another blog post of mine. Even before all this I mostly had my groceries delivered at home. Ever since the pandemic hit the globe I have been careful, no close contact, have been using a mask and asking the deliverance to place the groceries by the door etcetera. I am always a bit down the hall, with a mask and I have the door open so I can say hello. Mostly they ask where to put the groceries since most companies didn’t let their employees deliver inside the house anymore due to the pandemic. Or I sometimes ask them to just leave the groceries on the doorstep or just over it. And if someone does want to place the groceries in the house which I get is just a nice gesture or something that is so wired in their system, I just ask them if they would place them on the doorstep or just over the doorstep because that’s just fine. And mostly their response is a bit of relief like they don’t have to carry all those groceries inside or like are you sure and that it is no problem, which still I get is a nice thing. But sometimes, and in these past years with the pandemic, it just only happens a few times, they are just too quick and already inside the house so I have to ask them to please keep their distance and I say that I am fine with it if they put the groceries over the doorstep. And again most of their reactions are like are you sure it is fine, which is just nice. But recently it was a bit different, still, the delivery person was super nice and just helpful and my guess is it is just a bit different now that most of us are vaccinated and we already knew about the upcoming changes to the policies and guidelines. So this time the delivery person was too quick, already in the house, so I backed up a bit and asked them to place the groceries just there over the doorstep. Since he took another step I said I liked it if we kept our distances. He was kind and laughed it off a bit but then he said a bit condescending and laughing well then I know for sure you are not vaccinated… Like uhm Oke… so I told him with a bit of an annoyed tone well yes I am fully vaccinated, which he again laughed a bit too, and I replied that I am but I still need to be careful because I am very sick. To which he was like oh oh like so. And seriously I get that some might be confused or maybe even like you don’t have the covid or anything right?! And I am fine I someone would just ask. I just say it like it is like that I am fully vaccinated but I am chronically Ill so I have to be extra careful. 


The reason I made this post is that even after today a day where most guidelines have ended I still will be social distancing, still be wearing a mask if I feel I need to, in a public place, at the doctor's, getting my groceries, opening my front door, etc. I really hoped that at the beginning of this pandemic people would start to see things more from a different perspective and have more understanding for people who are (chronically ill) or have disabilities. And that is why I wrote this post to let people see a different side. I do hope people will start to think more inclusive because if people who now feel like an outsider because they have to show a corona app to go to the theater, out to dinner, have lunch with friends. I ask them to try see from a different perspective because we have always been the outsiders even long before this global pandemic hit the globe things weren't inclusive for people with (chronic) illnesses and disabilities. Just imagine how they felt these past years. Loads of their worlds have become so small you can't even imagine and now because some feel they are left ut because they need a pass or an app or such to go places, they are creating a bigger gap again to those who have already been left out.


I could make an even larger post but I just wanted to give my experience as an example as to why some would still wear a mask or still keep their distance and why this would be greatly appreciated if that where to be respected. 



No comments:

Post a Comment